Okay, I’ll admit I raised my eyebrows when I learned that the Unis in HUNTED referred to Unicorns, but ever since ZOMBIES V. UNICORNS, I’ll admit they’re pretty wicked, which is why I’m excited to bring you an interview with Skye from Jill Kaelin’s new novel, HUNTED.
* * *
- Can you tell us your name and the title of the book you live in?
My name is Skye Kelley and I live in Hunted. It’s a Cycle Thirteen novel written by Jill Kaelin.
- Describe to our readers your role in the book.
My role is hefty…I’m the main character! This story is all about me, my family, my friends, and my ridiculously supernatural life.
- How did you convince your author to put you in this book? For example, did you visit a dream or make yourself known some other way?
I didn’t appear in a dream. I came to her because she knew she needed someone like me to make this story perfect.
- Is your author easy to work with or controlling?
She’s so easy to work with. I pretty much tell her where we should go and what we should do and she just writes it all down for us. Sometimes she tries to control the situation by coming up with new ideas, so I let her tell me what to do once in a while.
- Would you tell us about one of your favorite friends from this book?
That would be Jules. Jules is the friend that everyone wants to have. She’s gorgeous, (like so pretty you almost hate her), but sweet as can be. She loves acting and singing. I know she’ll be a big-time Broadway star one day. Jules and I have been friends forever. She’s really the only person that understands me and in the book, I tell her stuff nobody’s supposed to know about me.
- What would you like our readers to know about you?
I would like your readers to know that Unis are just like everyone. We eat, sleep, and breathe…even get sick (although that’s rare). We just happen to have powers from our gemstones that make us special. My gem, Rose Quartz, is a pretty special gem, as you’ll find out when you read Hunted. It certainly keeps me busy.
- Did you learn anything during your adventure in this book?
I learned about love in this book. It’s a pretty complicated thing. I believe it’s almost tangible when it’s as strong as it is with me and another character.
- Can you tell us what you think is the most exciting thing that happened to you in your book?
I don’t want to spoil anything for you, but finding true love, the kind of love that makes you feel like you can’t breathe without them around, is pretty spectacular. I never thought it would happen to me in this cycle. I thought I was destined to be alone during my thirteenth life. Boy did that change.
- Is there anything in your story you wish you hadn’t done? Why?
I don’t think there was anything I wish hadn’t happened. Everything happens for a reason, I believe. If I hadn’t gone through the things I went through in this story, I wouldn’t be who I am. Sometimes experiences, like the ones I go through in Hunted, make you a better version of yourself.
- What was your main motivation?
My main motivation throughout the entire story is love. Isn’t that everyone’s main motivation?
- Introduce us to your main adversary?
My main adversary is Regnir Vingus, III. He’s apparently been after us for a while, trying to kill all of the Unis on the planet. In Hunted, he comes after me and it’s pretty frightening.
- Is there anything you would like to have done but your author stopped you?
I would’ve liked to have caused some physical pain to Portia at times, but my author said that nice girls don’t do things like that. Portia is the popular girl at school that everybody wishes they could be but nobody really likes…she tries to steal my boyfriend.
- Here’s your chance to speak your mind. What do you want to tell everybody?
I want to tell everyone that my story is different. Unicorns are making a comeback, have you noticed?
I think my story relates to young adults because it’s a typical teenage story line. Girl meets boy, girl hates boy, boy makes girl fall in love, girl almost gets killed…You’ll have to read to find out the rest. (I promise there’s a lot more to it than just that.)
- Craziest thing you’ve ever done?
I thought about facing Regnir on my own to protect my family. Big mistake.
- Biggest regret?
Not telling Jules my secret sooner. I could’ve confided in her years ago and not been so alone.
- If you were to get a tattoo, what would it be, where, and why?
If I got a tattoo, which would be a big IF, I would get the number 13 on the inside of my wrist. It seems to be my lucky number.
- Favorite book?
Why Hunted, of course! Oh, you mean that I have read…okay. Well, like every other teenage girl I’d have to say Twilight.
- Someone asks you to go skydiving. What’s your answer?
No. No thank you. Never.
- If they were to name a crayon color after you, what would it be?
I think they could name it picky. It’d be a mix of pink and purple, sort of like the beautiful cover design of my book. But they’d call it picky because that’s how I am. My tastes are very specific.
- Were you easy or hard to write?
I like to think I was easy to write. My author seemed to enjoy working with me.
- Your motto?
Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary.
- Absolute worst thing you’ve ever done?
I’m a good girl, so the worst thing I’ve probably ever done is lie. I tried lying to my parents, but it’s hard to do when they have powers that feel emotions. My dad could tell right away. I love my parents, but man does it stink to have them know everything!
- Detail about yourself that’s not in your book?
I really like dressing up. I don’t get to do it in my book. I’ve tried to convince my author to write something where I get to wear a dress and high heels, but she’s yet to work that in for me. Maybe in book two??? I hope so.
* * *
Stalk the author: